After pedaling for 1300 miles over 115 hours and 22 days, I think I've finally gotten the hang of this. In case you find yourself in a similar situation, here's how you know when you've been broken in:
1. Your discount rate for hills becomes negative. i.e. you would rather bike uphill now, so you don't have to later. In fact, you now hate going down hills because you are throwing progress in the garbage, and even worse, sometimes have to use your breaks.
2. You drink more calories than you eat.
3. You only start to worry if there are more than 3 dogs chasing you.
4. 6 donuts or less is considered a snack. 7 or more is a meal.
5. You are happy to see rain clouds and wonder why you bothered to bring rain gear.